When Rachel and Libby's mom passes away, they are
heartbroken. They find a letter that she wrote and left for them, then realize
it's the first letter of five. With each letter they read, they learn more
about their mother's past, and they uncover some heavy secrets that neither one
of them ever suspected.
I'll be honest, I struggled with Linda, the mother who died, a little bit. The girls uncover so many things they had no idea about, and in many instances, I felt as though it would have been much better for her to have just had a conversation with her daughters. By coming clean after her death, she released herself of the outcome of all the truths the siblings were flooded with. She didn't have to deal with the aftermath of what she had revealed. She didn't have to watch her children come to terms with a new reality because of secrets she'd kept from them.
Still, there's no denying that this is a very sweet novel. It's filled with a lot of love, and the idea that families can be made in a million different ways. Libby was a very likable character. I wasn't sure about Rachel at first, but I grew to like her in short order. The relationship between the siblings, while not terrible to begin with, really bloomed while they took these letters one at a time and fulfilled their mother's wishes. There's romance here, too, and I really liked the obvious love Rachel's husband, Ivan, has for his wife.
This book kept me intrigued throughout. Ms. Claire did a wonderful job of creating characters readers could connect with. I gave this novel four stars. I would recommend this read and am happy I came across it myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment