Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Review of Letters from Skye by Jessica Brockmole


Here is the five star review I left of this remarkable book on both Goodreads and Amazon:

What an extraordinary novel Letters from Skye is! It is romantic and beautiful. It is sad, sweet and lyrical. I am so glad that I ran across it, and from the second I opened the cover, I fell deep inside the pages and didn’t come up for air until I’d read the very last word.

I have a deep love for Scotland, particularly the Isle of Skye, so I was interested upon first hearing about Brockmole's novel. When I began reading, I wasn't sure how she would be able to tell an entire tale through letters, but tell a tale she did...one that was breathtaking and so beautifully written. What an accomplishment, and what and extraordinary book.

It's shorter than the reviews I tend to leave, but, even as a writer, I found it very difficult to come up with the right words to describe how I felt about this book. Here is the trailer:


I've done a huge amount of research on the Isle of Skye. It's a central locale for my Gannon Family Series, and, as I mentioned in my review, I hold a deep fondness for it in my heart. I was particularly interested in reading more about World War II from Elspeth's point of view. Letters from Skye was a most satisfying read, and I'm so glad that I came across it.

The author with her captivating novel.
I was happy to find out that Jessica Brockmole has a new book coming out in May, 2016 called At the Edge of Summer. I was only able to find a small blurb about this upcoming novel: Young love blossoms in the French countryside but must stand up to the challenges of distance and WWI in the sweeping second novel from the author of Letters from Skye. Enter the Goodreads giveaway to win one of fifty available copies. You'd best hurry, though, as today, (October 21) is the last day you can enter.

You can find out more about this author on Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, or her official website

I've definitely added Jessica Brockmole to my list of favorite authors. I look forward to reading her follow up to Letters from Skye this spring, and wish her continued success in her writing career.


No comments:

Post a Comment