Friday, May 13, 2016

My bookshelf/Newest reads

It's Friday, again! That means another blog post for #LifeBooksWriting!


I absolutely love to read. I always have. My mom read to me as a child, as did my grandmother, Mimi, and I remember one of my most favorite places in all the world when I was younger was the library in my elementary school. I read the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden series'. I read Danielle Steel, even though I was probably a little young for them at the time. When I got older, I loved Sidney Sheldon and V.C. Andrews. Then I got into Dean Koontz, and Stephen King.

When I was a freshman in high school, just like so many other freshmen in high schools all over the country, I was introduced to Harper Lee's wonderful To Kill a Mockingbird. That, after all these years, is still my all time favorite book. Whenever my life goes pear shaped, that's what I pick up. It helps ... every single time.

I was on a Patricia Cornwell kick for a long time, and I really liked John Sanford. Perhaps my favorite genre is Southern Lit; authors like Karen White, Sarah Addison Allen, Sandra Brown and  Loraine Despres. I've got a lot of James Lee Burke's novels, who is my most favorite author in the history of forever. He writes Southern Lit ... sometimes. He's got a twenty-book series that I absolutely love based in Iberia Parish, Louisiana. Dave Robicheaux, the main character in Burke's series, is so real to me. He reminds me of my biological dad. I can't explain why that's a good thing ... just know I'd happily read any one of the Robicheaux novels 100 times and still never tire of it.

My shelves are filled with all sorts of books ... autobiographies, how-to's, (I'll eventually teach myself how to knit, you just wait and see!) travel books and educational texts. I love books. I love them all.

Newest reads? Well, I'm usually reading a few books at once. I just finished proofreading a wonderful new book called Fortune's Treasure by author A.K. Lawrence. I would include a link, but it is in the process of being republished. I did an author spotlight on this author not too long ago. If you're interested in learning more about her, please click here.

I also had the chance to read a new crime thriller novel by indie powerhouse S.L. Shelton called Hedged. It's in the process of being published, but if you're interested in reading an amazing spy/thriller series, I highly recommend his Scott Wolfe series. Be careful, though ... his books are a little like potato chips. It's hard to read just one.

Another one of my most recent reads has been Billy Purgatory: I Am the Devil Bird by Jesse James Freeman. I'm only about halfway through it, but I'm thoroughly intrigued by the story. Fortunately for me, he's got a second book in the Billy Purgatory series. I like knowing there's more to read from author's I enjoy.

Did I mention that I love to read? Yeah ... I thought so. Thank god for books. They have always been my happy place.


No comments:

Post a Comment