Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A few more amazing reviews for Alabama Skye


The feedback on Alabama Skye has been overwhelmingly positive. It's such an amazing thing! I am so grateful to all of those who have read and reviewed it. There have been a couple of stinkers...one reviewer said she thought the story was too sweet, and another one even made fun of the title saying the combination of Alabama and Skye is too cute and unusual. This second reviewer, incidentally, is absolutely convinced that this is a memoir and that it was not worth either writing or reading. I don't know this person, so this is nothing but conjecture on his part. In this case, I have to say that he's wrong...at least about the memoir part. The only thing even remotely autobiographical about Alabama Skye is that my grandmother, like Sarah, had Alzheimer's. Oh...and I do have a mother...but that's where the similarities between me and any of the characters in the novel end.

I wasn't on Facebook, didn't have my blog or a web site, and certainly didn't have a following of any sort, (other than my loyal family members and friends...and thank God for them) when The Color of Thunder was published. I was an absolute unknown. I was in a different place, however, while getting ready to release Alabama Skye. I was totally taken aback when it was published and  people I didn't even know were paying attention told me that they'd been anxiously awaiting the book's release. I've had readers push the book for me, getting their friends and family members to read it...and the response I've gotten has really been an amazing and wonderful surprise. Sometimes you put things out there and don't hear a thing about them. I built up the release of Alabama Skye like nobody's business on Facebook, posting pictures of the different characters, blurbs from the book and all sorts of other things. It's easy to get frustrated when you're trying to let the world know that you've accomplished something you're enormously proud of and you don't think anyone's listening. I learned a big lesson about that in the last month. Someone is always listening.

Here are a few more reviews from Amazon I'd like to share.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful story of twists and turnsJune 30, 2014
This review is from: Alabama Skye (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by J.C. Wing and I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.
Alabama Skye is a treat, a wonderful story of twists and turns. It's a beloved inspiring and uplifting story of family, loyalty, loss, forgiveness, coming together.
It's a well written book about Cheney who lost her husband and left Scotland to make a fresh start in Alabama with her family. The plot moved along well and had me so interested it was hard to put it down, the only bad part was it was over and now the wait to see if there is a sequel to the book.
Congratulations on your first book J.C. Wing looking forward to reading more from your :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from the first chapter!July 5, 2014
This review is from: Alabama Skye (Paperback)
J. C. Wing has written a book that pulls you immediately into the setting of the story and keeps you there through the last chapter. Her descriptions of the surroundings and characters bring the story and people to life and make you feel as if you are there with them and know them personally.
Ms. Wing writes about situations that are part of many people's everyday lives which allows you to identify with the characters and their issues. However she has a way of writing so that you aren't bored but instead anxious to find out the outcomes to the circumstances she has presented.
At different times while I was reading Alabama Skye I chuckled, I smiled, I felt sad and I felt happy, yes I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Well done!
Although the story did have closure I was sorry when it was over. Maybe a sequel written from Noah's perspective?

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it was longer......July 4, 2014
This review is from: Alabama Skye (Paperback)
I really enjoyed Alabama Skye. All of the characters are so likeable and it is easy to imagine their interactions. It's fun to have both the Scottish and the Alabama sides of the story. I liked how the background stories came out throughout the book, and not all at once. I wish it had been a bit longer. 200 pages goes quickly.

One of the other reviewers commented that there were opportunities for confrontations/drama/problems that weren't taken by JC. She saw this as a problem. I actually saw it as refreshing. It was a nice escape - it's easy to get caught up in our day-to-day where negative things do happen so I thought it was enjoyable to read a story about a really close family that doesn't even recognize challenging situations because they have each other.

I'll definitely recommend this to friends and look forward to reading another book by JC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a must-read.June 30, 2014
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Alabama Skye (Paperback)
Alabama Skye is a treat, a wonderful story of twists and turns. It is one of those "can't put down" type stories, a beloved inspiring and uplifting story of family, loyalty, loss, forgiveness, coming together. It will impact you in some way, bringing these characters to life, making you feel connected in some fashion. You will feel like you know the characters, thanks to the detail and images created by the author JC Wing.

My only complaint is that it ended. I look forward to a sequel or more, from some of the other characters viewpoints. Definitely a must-read.


I also loved this review I got on Goodreads today.

's review 
Jul 08, 14

Read in June, 2014

I absolutely Loved this book by J.C. Wing. I have read both of her books now and will continue to read her novels.

This was a book that captured my interest, held it, and left me wanting more when I reached the end.

The very interaction between characters, the story line, and the history of both Scotland, and the south have a way of pulling you in and keeping your interest during the whole book.

I feel that this is a great avenue for J.C. Wing to consider a series, as with these characters, there is still so many avenues to investigate, and journey through.


There have been two things I've heard the most from readers. They want to know where the recipes are for all the different foods I wrote about in both The Color of Thunder and Alabama Skye. They also want to know when the sequel for Alabama Skye will be published. As for the sequel...I'll be honest. When I finished writing Alabama Skye, it felt complete to me. I had no thoughts whatsoever about ever writing a sequel to this book. I am so excited, though, about the fact that so many readers want more of these characters! I have written up a loose outline for a sequel and have begun the first chapter. I can't promise anything for sure...I have to love the story and the way it turns out before I spend the time and energy to get to it published. I love these characters. I love Kelby, Alabama and Gannon's Glen and I have been happy about going back and working on the continuation of the story. I've also got plans to put together a cookbook filled with all original recipes from both novels. I've got a collaborator...my son, who loves to cook. If I write a sequel to Alabama Skye, however, a cookbook will have to be delayed. I can't imagine that Greer will go through an entire book without cooking up more amazing treats.

Thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed for me. Please, please, please...when you read a book - mine or any other author's - if you enjoyed it, take the time to post a review. Amazon is always a good place to do that. Reviews make an author's world go round. It effects sales and promotion...and it let's us know what you like and don't like about books. Every review is useful. Every review is helpful. Every review matters.



No comments:

Post a Comment