Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Formal Wear #PNIWritingChallenge Day 30

Day 30! Okay, not really. It's actually day 120 for those of us crazy (awesome) people who have participated in the last four writing challenges. 

Wow. 120 blog posts. I've actually written 117. For some reason it's important to me to keep an accurate count. Why? I don't know. I missed a few, but the fact that I've written 117 posts in four months is still pretty unbelievable to me. 

You see, I had been thinking for a while that I really needed to write more regularly on my blog. Ang Lawrence - that girl reads my mind sometimes ... it's scary -  she invited me to hop aboard the first challenge.  I had no idea what I was in for, but here we are, 120 posts later. You can thank her, (or curse her maybe) y'all. It's her fault. She started it.

So, as we say adieu to Randy Brown's #PNIWritingChallenge, (that's Potatoes Not Included, by the way) I leave with you with my thoughts on formal wear. 

Formal wear? Well, I'm a jeans and t-shirt (okay, sweatshirt ... I do live in Colorado) kind of girl. I love my tennis shoes, and I have an impressive collection of fuzzy socks. I wear them often. They don't always match, but I've been told by many people that's in style right now. If I'm fashionable, that's the way it happens - totally by mistake.

I've been gussied up a few times in my life. I don't actually own a skirt or dress right now, but I do have a great pair of black pants I pull out when the occasion calls for them. I even own a couple pairs of heels - though they don't get worn much. I don't consider any of that to be formal, though.  This is what comes to mind when I think of 'formal wear'.


This was a long time ago, but it's as formal as I've ever gotten.

When Steven proposed to me back in October of '94, (I told you it was a long time ago) we decided we wanted a low-key wedding. We met on my birthday, (sweet sixteen) and I really wanted to get married on or around that date. Our plan was to have a BBQ up at my parents house in Evergreen. Casual attire, lots of good food, friends and family. 

This was not to be.

My mom is an extraordinary seamstress. She made my clothes from the time I was born all the way through ... okay, honestly? I still ask her to make clothes for me. When I was seven, she told me that if I didn't let her make my wedding dress she'd never forgive me. She was kidding. Sorta. Okay, probably not. 

When we announced our engagement, low-key really took a back seat. I'm my mom's only child, and I'm so glad I had her help when it came to planning our wedding. I have a lot of really great memories of Mom and I arranging all the details of what turned out to be one of the most unforgettable days of my life.

I fell in love with two dresses. What did Mom do? She had me explain to her which parts of each dress I liked, then she put them together and tailor made it just for me. We made my veil together, and Mom sewed dresses for my Maid of Honor, my bridesmaid and my flower girl. 


We all wound up being a little too dressed up for that BBQ we originally planned.

Me and Mom - She didn't make her outfit ... she was too busy sewing for everyone else.
And let's not forget my incredibly handsome groom ...


He wore tails. He's not a formal kind of person, either, but boy does he clean up nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment