Sunday, November 13, 2016

My Favorite Food to Go Out For #PNIWritingChallenge Day 28

Food! I like posts about food. Here's something you might not know about me ... I seriously considered going to culinary school. I didn't. I created a character named Greer for Alabama Skye who went to culinary school for me. Turns out that this was a lot less expensive in the end. 

I love to cook. I'm just getting back into it again. I had a brace or a cast on my right wrist for nearly a year, and I was useless in the kitchen. Not being able to cook really depressed me. I had the first of two surgeries back on November 23rd of last year. I couldn't cook for Thanksgiving. Huge bummer for me. I'm going to go all out this year. There's only four of us, but we'll probably have enough food for our entire cul-de-sac.

My son, Scott, and I are going to publish a cookbook. It's going to be called From Scottish High Tea to Low-Country Gumbo, and it's going to include many of the recipes I wrote about in The Color of Thunder and The Gannon Family series. I come up with my own recipes all the time. Scott and I are going to cook them all up, take a bunch of photos and figure out how to put them all together. For each recipe there will be an excerpt from whichever book it came from. I've very excited about it. I don't see any free time in my calendar for a good, long while - and I need to finish the last book in The Gannon Family series first - but this is a project I am putting together a little at a time. It will be complete and ready to go eventually.

Because I love to cook, we don't go out to eat very often. When we do, it's usually for Mexican food or burgers. I'm not very hard to please - even mediocre food is pleasant if you're with the right people. 

I love going out for steak. A good steak is a wonderful thing. But we bought a grill this past summer, and I have to say, my hubby cooks up some of the tastiest steaks I've ever eaten. Between him and my dad, we have steaks pretty much covered.

The one thing I do really like to go out for is pasta.


I've always loved pasta. My daughter does, too, but we're really the only ones in our family who do. Fettuccine Alfredo, lasagna, ravioli, tortellini ... oh my goodness. I'm making myself very hungry. I'm a 'go with the flow' kind of person, and when we do go out for a meal, I'm happy to let everyone else decide. I don't go out for pasta very often, but when I do, I'm a happy, happy girl.

There will be a recipe in our cookbook for lasagna. I can't tell you why the recipe is important ... but I can tell you the excerpt that will go along with it is from Alabama Skye. Noah, one of my characters, loves pasta just as much as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment