Thursday, July 28, 2016

A Fruit I Dislike - and Why: Thirty Day Writing Challenge Day 10

Technically, a tomato is a fruit, right? So, I really should be writing about my dislike for tomatoes. 

Blech. 

It's a texture thing. It's the grainy, and then the seedy-sliminess of the whole thing - and all of it mixed in together. (Shudders) Oof. Nope, raw tomatoes are definitely not my thing. Cooked? Great! In sauces? Give me another helping. Raw? Fuggedaboudit. I've spent a lifetime picking tomatoes out of things. It's just kind of a part of who I am.

I don't really think about tomatoes as being fruits, though, so it wasn't the first thing that came to mind when I sat down to write this post. First, let me tell you just how much I love fruit.


That's one of the best parts of summer for me, the juicy, ripe, wonderful fruit. Watermelon ... plums ... peaches ... Oh, yes, definitely the peaches! I might be hungry.

I grew up on fruit, but I can't remember ever eating a kiwi as a child. I'm not sure why ... I would assume that my parents bought them. They are a little strange looking. Perhaps I didn't choose a kiwi because it was a bit odd. Honestly, I have no recollection of this little fruit from my childhood. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I bought one and gave it a try.


It might have tasted okay ... I guess I'm not quite sure because I couldn't get around the bothersome sensation of my tongue and lips tingling and burning when I put it in my mouth. I tried it again. Very strange. Nope, tried it, not my favorite. I just thought I had an aversion to it. So many people like kiwi - a lot like those dreaded raw tomatoes - I figured it was just me.

Until I looked it up. That's when I found out that I'm actually allergic to kiwis. The handful of articles I read say that there are a lot of people who are. I'm not allergic to much. There's a type of antibiotics I can't take called cephalosporins. (I remember that only because it makes me think of "cephalopod". I know, squids and antibiotics are nothing alike, but it's word association. When I have to fill out all that tedious paperwork at the doctor's office, I automatically think: squid = sick. Or something like that.)

But I digress.

Raw tomatoes are horrible, awful, vile ... just gross. As disgusting as they are, though, at least they've never tried to kill me.



No comments:

Post a Comment