Monday, July 25, 2016

Personal Tattoos and Their Meaning: Thirty Day Writing Challenge Day 7

So, the question is, do I have any tattoos?

I do, actually.

How many?

Just one.

One very special one.

Do you get to see it?

Nope. I don't even get to see it ... at least not all that often. I have a cute, if not a bit sassy, little fairy who stands on the back of my left shoulder. She's been there for twenty-six years now, and she's a bit faded I'm afraid. When I do check on her in the mirror once in a while, I feel sad that she's lost some of her vibrancy. Maybe someday I'll go and have her re-colored. She's a spunky little thing ... she should get some of her pizazz back.

This is what my tattoo looks like for those of you who are curious about her.


I wrote something  not long ago about Tink. If you're interested in reading it, you can find that post here. This is what I said about the little pixie, and may explain a bit why I chose her when I decided to go and get inked.

"I don't remember exactly when I began to be intrigued by the tale of Peter Pan. I know it had everything to do with reading the book - or a version of it - when I was a child. I think I was about seven or eight at the time ... and I loved Peter and Wendy, but the character that really struck a chord with me was Tinker Bell. Oh  my, was she feisty! She was nothing like me. I was a very shy little girl. I was afraid ... well, of everything, really if I'm honest. I was friendly and so wanted to please everyone ... but I was so very, very timid. In Barrie's book, the extremes in Tink's personality are explained by the fact that a fairy's size prevents her from holding more than one feeling at a time. I'm totally different. I've always felt so many things all at once ... and I feel them in a big way. I was (and still am in many ways) Tink's polar opposite, and this little fairy intrigued me so very much."

When I was nineteen, my boyfriend and I decided to go and get tattoos. It had been something I'd thought about, and knew exactly what I wanted should I ever actually do it. He was from Virginia, and decided he wanted a Confederate flag inked on his bulging bicep. I always thought he was pretty tough ... that is until the needle came out. He backpedaled a bit and claimed he wouldn't go through with it unless I went first, so I did. I wanted Tink on my ankle, but the guy who donned the rubber gloves told me it would hurt a lot there. I should have sucked it up, but I didn't. It took about fifteen minutes, and then I had a pixie on my shoulder. My boyfriend's flag turned out nice ... but it wasn't exactly centered. It waved a bit of the mark. Serves him right for being such a candy ass.

Okay ... so maybe I'm more like Tink than I give myself credit for.

I've thought about getting another tattoo over the years, but I have never been very committed to the idea. I'm glad I got Tink, but I think she's fine flying solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment