Friday, July 22, 2016

Ten Interesting Facts About J.C. Wing: Thirty Day Writing Challenge Day 4

So, ten interesting facts about me, eh? Let's see here ... hmmmm ... I could tell you I'm a homeschooling mom, but you probably already know that one. I love coffee ... but I love iced chai even more. Boring? Yeah, okay, I see your point. How about the fact that my favorite candy is peanut M & M's? That is definitely a riveting piece of information, don't you think? 

Okay. I think I've come up with ten things you might not know about me. Are they interesting? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that every single one of them is true ... and that they aren't listed in any specific order.

I collect baseball caps


I own a lot of them. Some of the ones I like the most are from London, Carolina Beach and NYC. I also love my Tarheels cap and the Durham Bulls pictured above.

I was a nanny


Back in 1993, I began working for a family in Englewood as a nanny. Ann was seven months pregnant with twins, and Jenny was a few months shy of three years old. I'd had a lot of experience with childcare at this point, but this was the first and only time I was a nanny. I got to play and hang out with these three beautiful girls for about two and a half years. Being a part of this family was one of the most rewarding things I've ever gotten to do.

I can't whistle

Sad, but true. I've tried, I really have, but I've never just been able to "pucker up and blow". I've got other talents, though, so not being able to whistle isn't all that bad. 

I sang Carmina Burana in a choir ... and loved it

Between 2006 and 2008, my daughter and I both sang with the Golden Community Choirs. The Children's Choir sang a small part with us, so I got to perform with Maya, who was about seven at the time. I took part in a lot of performances while with the choir, but Carmina was by far the most fun. 

I was a competitive ice skater

This was about a hundred years ago. Maybe even a little longer. I skated in the 1988 Nationals, and got to meet and become friends with Brian Boitano, who then went on to the Olympics where he won his gold medal. Coincidentally, it was during my eight year stint on the ice that I broke my wrist for the first time. We all know how that turned out. 

I share a birthday with Barbie

She's thirteen years older than I am, but we were both born on March 9th. I probably don't need to mention that a birthday is the only thing the two of us share.


I was on the Blinky's Fun Club

If you aren't from Denver, this probably means absolutely nothing to you. If you are from Denver, you know exactly what I'm talking about.




This children's television show ran from 1966 until 1998. Blinky sang "Happy Birf-day" a whole lotta times in those thirty-two years.

I spent two years abroad


Heidelberg, Germany
At the end of 2011, my family and I moved to Germany after my husband took a job on Ramstein Air Force Base. He'd already spent three months in Stuttgart, and another three in Heidelberg before the rest of us joined him. We got to travel to places like Paris, Belgium, Luxembourg and London, and I absolutely fell in love with Germany. I was tremendously sad to leave when the time came, but those two years sure were packed with unforgettable adventures.

I own a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird - signed by Harper Lee


Thanks to my dear friend, Holly, whom I met while we were in Germany. She gifted it to me after hearing my son tease me about having so many copies of the book when I picked up another free one from a bin in the Vogelweh library. How did I repay her for her incredible generosity? I took her to Casa Bonita and served her some very questionable Mexican food when she visited this past spring. I'm definitely the kind of friend to have, no doubt about it.

I have super curly hair ... but that wasn't always the case


It's been like this for about twelve or thirteen years. It started right about the same time my son was born. Before then, I had a tiny bit of wave to my hair, but nothing at all like this. I've been told that pregnancy can do some very odd things to a woman's body. Apparently, pregnancy did this to me.
I'll be honest ... this post feels like I've said too much. TMI perhaps? Something tells me you all are going to know me a lot better by the time the middle of August rolls around. For that I apologize in advance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment