Friday, September 23, 2016

The Big Apple - Vacation #WingWritingChallenge Day 7


I've been fortunate in my life in that I've had a lot of opportunities to travel. Since I was very young, I've gotten to pack up and explore many different places. My mom and step dad have always loved to travel, and they've taken me all over the country. I've gone to Mexico and to Hawaii with my mom, as well. 

When I was between my sophomore and junior years in high school, I got to travel to Europe for the first time with twelve other students and my amazing French teacher. Talk about an adventure! That is one trip I'm not likely to forget.

As an adult I've done quite a bit of traveling, too. I've written in several posts about how I lived abroad for two years. Here's a post a wrote about my vacation to London. That was almost three and a half years ago now, and the last vacation I went on. (If any of you feels the need to set me up on another excursion, please feel free. I can clear my schedule at any time.)

I've decided that this post is going to be dedicated to a vacation I took exactly nine years ago. Wow. I can't believe it's been nine years. Looking at the photos this morning, it doesn't seem like it's been that long.

My mom invited me to go on a girls' weekend with her, my aunt Donna and my cousin Natalie to New York City. I'd never been, but had always wanted to go, so I jumped at the chance. I'm so glad I did. This was one of the most fun, most memorable vacations I've ever taken.

We left late Thursday night. Actually it was Friday morning because we took off from Denver at midnight. My travel companions all slept during the flight. Not me. It was the first time I'd ever left my kids who were eight and almost five at the time. They were with their dad, so I had nothing at all to worry about, but I was completely stressed out. (I've always been a stay at home mom who really loves hanging out with her kids.) I watched the map on the display embedded in the seat in front of me the entire flight and kept track of our progress toward the east coast. 

We landed by about six or seven that morning, and as soon as we stepped off the plane, our whirlwind NYC adventure began.



We only stopped briefly at our hotel before we headed toward the Empire State Building. We saw this on our way there ...





We did all the touristy things over the next four days. This was in 2007, so they hadn't really done a lot on the memorial at Ground Zero yet. They had this up when we were there.


I keep telling you all I'm a dork. This is pretty much proof of that I think.

This was taken on Liberty Island.  This is me and my mom. We've had a lot of pictures of us taken together. I like this one the best. 




We visited Central Park ...


Me and Natalie hanging out with Hans Christian Andersen.

 ... and I finally got to see the Alice in Wonderland statue.






We had pizza in Brooklyn and walked the Brooklyn Bridge.


We also saw a Broadway play.




I love the beach, and that's where my mind wanders when I think of taking a vacation. New York City, though ... there was something very magical about this trip. If I had the opportunity to visit again, I wouldn't hesitate.

No comments:

Post a Comment