Monday, October 10, 2016

Hospital #WingWritingChallenge Day 24

I'm a pretty healthy person. I weigh more than I should, and I get the occasional bug, but for the most part, I'm healthy. I haven't been in the hospital because I was sick since I delivered my daughter back in 1999. Yes, I went in to have a baby, but then was admitted again when she was four days old because I'd developed a serious lung infection. It's a very long story. I'll save that one for another post.

Last year I went through two surgeries and spent some time in the hospital for both of them. I have a very long history with my right wrist. It began when I broke it a week before my sixteenth birthday, and then again in 2012. I blogged about all that had happened almost exactly a year ago. To get all caught up, you can read I'm Down a Wing ... but I'm Not Out!

The first surgery happened a few days before Thanksgiving.

It was exploratory to find out exactly what was wrong. I actually hurt a lot worse after this surgery than I did when I went in. The surgeon moved things around, poked and prodded, but wasn't able to fix anything while he was in there. It felt much more fragile after he was done, and I was put in yet another cast to await the next procedure. The scope was successful, though. The surgeon found the problem, and he was confident he would be able to fix it once he had me back on the operating table again.

The second surgery happened about three weeks later.

That's a medicine ball I'm attached to. The hose got crimped while I was lying on the couch several hours after my surgery and the meds stopped flowing. That was very unfortunate for me, but we figured it out.

They wrote on my arm before I went in. I guess it's always good to know for sure which wrist needs surgery. I was wearing a cast that had been split in half and was held together with an ACE bandage. I thought that might be a huge clue - but they do what they need to do I suppose.

During the second surgery they replaced the ulnar joint in my wrist along with a good portion of the ulna itself.

It was a rough holiday season. I was in a lot of pain and couldn't do anything for myself. Showering, getting dressed ... even going to the bathroom were all things I needed help with.

I got a lot of cat cuddles from Mouse, though.

Getting the stitches out hurt a lot - so much so that I almost passed out. They made me lie down so I wouldn't wind up on the floor.

Yes, I look a little like an anime character here. I was on the verge of tears. I'd like to think I'm a badass, but in reality I'm really not so much.

I spent a lot of time in the hospital in both November and December of last year. I'm hoping I can stay away from any medical facilities for a good long while. I'm grateful for them. That doesn't mean I want to make a habit of hanging out there.

I'm also looking forward to cooking for Thanksgiving in another six weeks or so. It's my favorite holiday and I didn't really take part in it last year. I know I'm sure to remember a lot more of this upcoming celebration than I do of the last one.