Saturday, October 8, 2016

TV Show #WingWritingChallenge Day 22

Back on September 5, I wrote Company on a Deserted Island. I'd just started season two of LOST at the time, and, considering the blog's topic, it seemed appropriate to write about the characters from the show. 


I just finished watching all 121 episodes a couple of days ago, so I'm returning to it for a second post. It's still on my mind. This topic came around at a convenient time.


I absolutely loved this show. I loved it from the very first episode all the way through to the end. It took me the better part of two months to watch the whole thing. I would go for days without seeing an episode, (life is busy, you know?) and then some days I'd watch three or four of them in a row. Binge watching is not something I get to do very often. I like binge watching. I like it a lot. There's something soothing to me about sinking into another world for awhile.


I know it's a little ridiculous that I didn't start watching the show until six years after it ended. Like I mentioned in that previous post - I'm often late arriving to the party, but I still have fun once I get there. I'm not sure that it mattered how late I was. I can't imagine that it was any better back then than it was now. I'm just really happy I finally saw it.

I've talked to a lot of people about this show. A great many of them told me they only made it to the second or third season before it started getting too weird for them. A few others said they watched the whole thing and then were very disappointed with the way it ended. They claim that there was not a satisfying explanation for all that had taken place over the course of six seasons; that they were left wanting more, that it wasn't worth it. Like a good friend of mine recently told me, "You either dig it or you don't." I couldn't agree more. I'm one of those that dig it.


I never wanted to stop watching. I never thought it got too weird. There were always things I needed to figure out. How can you stop watching? Then for sure you'll never know what happens or why. I was so intrigued by how all of the character's story lines continued to cross over and intermingle. Every time there was a flash back, it provided back story, but it also gave more insight into how these people's lives were connected. 

The last episode. The last scene. (Deep breath.) I cried. I won't forget that one for a long, long time. Emotional. And excellent. I know this is an old show, so I probably don't need to be too concerned about spoilers - but I didn't finish watching it until this week, and I know of at least one friend who is watching it now for the first time, so I won't reveal anything. I have to be honest  -  I have some questions. Not everything is clear to me about how it all turned out, but I was not in the least little bit left feeling disappointed by the ending.

I did some searching after I dried my eyes and gave myself a few minutes to come to terms with the conclusion. I found several things. This blog post called Lost Finale Explained Well! was interesting. It was written by a writer on the show. There's The Ultimate Theory and Explanation, but like the title implies - it's just somebody's theory. Lostpedia is a site created by fans that contains 7,370 articles written about the show. You can get a bunch of viewpoints there if you want to read them. I think it's interesting that there's so much out there - so many people still discussing what took place over those six seasons. How cool is that? I mean, really? I think it's awesome.

I like a lot of TV shows. Supernatural, Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, Aquarius ... I was hooked on F.R.I.E.N.D.S. the whole ten years it was on, (even named three of our dogs after the characters) and loved True Blood, Californication and countless others.

I, like most kids my age, grew up on television. I can sing the theme songs of I Dream of Jeannie and Gilligan's Island word for word - and frequently do, much to my family's dismay. I've gone back and watched all of the episodes of Magnum P.I. again since they first aired, and then there was Simon and Simon. Thursday nights. Man, there was some good TV on Thursday nights.


LOST is the latest in many shows I've really enjoyed. I will definitely go back and watch it again in another year or two. I'm sure I will continue pondering all that happened throughout those 121 episodes for a long time to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment