Monday, October 24, 2016

A Question I Like Being Asked, and One I Don't #PNIWritingChallenge Day 7

I like being asked about writing. Yep ... I truly enjoy talking about my craft. It's probably one of my favorite topics. Ask me about my works in progress. Ask me about the books I've already written. If you ask me detailed questions, I know you've read them and that will make me even happier. 

Another question I like is about editing - whether it's about a manuscript you'd like me to take a look at, or about my fledgling business. (It's doing really well, by the way ... thanks for asking.) 

Something else I like being asked about is books in general. I love, love, love to read. I will go on for hours about those books that are my favorites. I will tell you about my most beloved authors and answer any questions I can about anything having to do with the written word. 

Now, for that question I don't like being asked ...


If you've been reading my blog at all in the last few months, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that I'm a homeschooling mom. I wrote about something that fires me up more than just about anything else in a previous post called Three Pet Peeves. After going back and reading that post again, I am convinced that it still expresses how I feel about it so I'm going to copy it here.
My kids and I have been learning at home for a little more than thirteen years now. The decision to homeschool was made after many, many discussions between my husband and I, and after much deliberation. I am one who enjoys research, and I had a lot of that behind me when I began teaching my daughter, Maya, the day after her fourth birthday. Homeschooling laws are different in every state. Yes, I've followed them in every place we've lived. Yes, I test our children - and with standardized tests that are not evaluated or graded by me. Yes, we follow a schedule (10 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday). Yes, I follow a curriculum and keep track of what's required for not only our state, but the school district in which we live. Even though I take education very seriously, there are still naysayers - and that's fine - but one of my biggest pet peeves is when someone sits me down and quizzes me about my abilities, or the wisdom of our choice to homeschool when they know nothing about the way I teach. Socialization - blah, blah, blah - Please. Stop. Choir, soccer, dance, gymnastics, swim team, art classes, book clubs, bowling leagues ... the list goes on and on and on. Meet my kids. Have a conversation with them. Ask them about what they're studying and get to know them. They'll blow you away, and impress the hell out of you, and they'll do it in a very short amount of time. I guarantee it.
Ask me anything you want about my kids. They are my favorite topic. You can even ask about homeschooling. I encourage it. Just don't question the fact that I take my job as a mom and a homeschooler seriously, or that I am able to do both jobs exceptionally well.



No comments:

Post a Comment