Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Telephone #WingWritingChallenge Day 26

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this topic:


This telephone. You'd pull it by the cord and the eyes would move up and down and it chattered. Weird? Definitely, but I'm pretty sure everyone around my age had this phone, or played with it at one time or another while growing up.

When I went to Pinterest to find a photo of it, I realized that Fisher-Price toys played an enormous part in my childhood. I kept seeing pictures of different things I remember playing with. Little People! Oh my goodness ... I had so many Little People, and the cool stuff that came with them like the houseboat with those yellow plastic deck chairs. The farm! The door mooed when you opened it. Remember that? And the cash register with the big coins ... the xylophone with the rainbow colored bars, and Mandy. Oh, Mandy! She was one of my most beloved dolls. I actually still have her packed away beneath the basement stairs.

Ahem. Okay. This post is not about Fisher-Price toys. Sorry. I'm back on track again.

While the above telephone is the first thing that came to mind, after I thought about it for a few more minutes, something else pushed its way through the chaos that resides in my head. 

London. 

Think about it. It makes perfect sense. You know, the iconic red telephone boxes? Yeah. Those.


Just ignore the fact that my eyes are closed. My sunglasses had gone MIA. We'd asked a complete stranger to take our picture and I didn't think it was nice to ask for a do-over. Still - it's a red telephone box with Big Ben in the background. Eyes closed or not, this was one terrific day. 

That chattering telephone brings back some great childhood memories, but it doesn't even come close to touching my memories of this trip. I probably won't ever see another Fisher-Price phone, but I'll be visiting this one in London again. Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment