Monday, August 15, 2016

A Word or a Phrase that I Overuse: Thirty Day Writing Challenge Day 28

Awesome!

Yep, I use this word a lot, but because fellow author and blogger, A.K. Lawrence and I seem to write nearly the same posts - it's not planned, I swear it - I decided to write about my second most used phrase.

Let it be noted, though, the word awesome falls from my lips on a fairly regular basis. I think a lot of things are awesome. I stand by this word. It's a good word.

I think it's largely understood that I am, indeed, a goofball. I stand by that, as well. Life is serious. Sometimes it's too damn serious, and the way I get through it most of the time is by reveling in my goofiness. This doesn't mean that I'm in any way unintelligent. I'm a very smart girl. It also doesn't mean that I don't understand the graveness of certain situations. I do. I just like to laugh. I like to be happy. I also like other people to be happy. Sometimes when I find things that seem to bring someone else a little bit of joy, I tuck them away, use them whenever I can. If you can make someone else smile, in my opinion, you damn well ought to.


I don't know when I started using the phrase "cool beans", but it was a long time ago. My family and my closest friends don't even hear it anymore, but it gives most people a kick. I remember saying it and getting a reaction - a smile or a laugh - so I kept using it. Now it's just part of my vocabulary. It's silly - and a whole lot of people use it - but it's one of my favorites. 

I do probably overuse it - but just like the word awesome, I think it's here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment